Best time to visit Kidepo Valley National Park
The Best time to visit Kidepo Valley National Park – Kidepo national park is 700 kilometers from Kampala Uganda’s capital city in the semi-arid area of Karamoja northeastern Uganda bordered by South Sudan in the north and Kenya in the east the least explore the park is rich in untouched biodiversity and it’s ranked as the 3rd in Africa.
Kidepo valley national park is accessible all year round however the best time to visit the park is during the dry season months of September to March this gives you great visibility of the wildlife in the national park. The wet season months of March to August makes the park’s paths muddy and slippery and some lodges close down during these low season months because of the low volume of tourists coming in.
Kidepo Game reserve Gazetting
The game reserve was gazette in 1958 and was made a national park in 1962 Kidepo valley boasts of sprawling savanna, palm-lined streams, semi-desert, and open woods with 2 valleys Kidepo and Narus.
Narus is rich with wildlife surrounded by mountains and has a modest range of accommodation.
The Dry Season
In the months of December to February is the climax of the dry season with most of the water sources dry the animals congregate at the semi-arid areas “ oasis’s “ giving you a great wildlife viewing only that it’s too dry and dusty to fully enjoy game drives.
Because the dry season creates a scarcity of water, this reduces the malaria threat during this time making it favorable to visit.
The Wet Season
The wet seasons in the park are not as serious as the ones experienced in Bwindi impenetrable forest park or Queen Elizabeth national park the semi-arid Kidepo national park rains are lighter in the months of April to August they rarely interrupt game viewing.
The wet season gives a lot of bird viewing opportunities this is the best time birders can use to catch migratory birds the park is ranked the third best national park in Africa, what you are waiting to take the adventure in the National park?
A brief summary of the weather of Kidepo Valley national park
December to March and June to Late August – Dry Season
- These months are drier Water becomes scarce animals assemble in the “oasis’s” so it’s the most ideal for wildlife viewing.
- It is very dry and dusty.
- It’s rarely cloudy clear blue skies
- It is hazy & the views are not so great.
Between April to May and September to November – Wet Season
- Though it’s the wet season animals it’s easy to see animals in the Dry season in great numbers reasons the rains here are not as high as the ones in the other regions of Uganda.
- Best time to see Migratory birds so it’s great for birders.
- Green scenery.
- It’s not as hot as the dry season
- Animals are scattered throughout the valley so it’s harder to see than the dry season when they assemble to the water sources.
Uganda Wildlife Safaris